Thursday, January 20, 2011

Podcasts

Podcasts are something I am rather new to. Admittedly, I do own an IPhone, yet I had never previously understood the concept of podcasts. On discussing this week’s topic with my daughter, I learned that most universities worldwide are offering podcast recordings of lectures within the context of particular units, as well as universally accessible podcast series on various academic topics. Obviously this allows students to listen to lectures at home, but it also allows interested parties to subscribe to podcasts they find interesting regardless of whether they are students or not. At this moment I have three podcasts on my IPhone - one on the various Mythologies or different societies, one on the origins of the English language, and the Nova “Summer Breakfast” with Nathan and Nat. If a library was to offer a podcast with the first chapter of the latest titles, or perhaps ‘read’ an audio book of the week, I would subscribe to that too.

1 comment:

  1. A number of participants have suggested the use of podcasts in relation to childrens story time too, but I wonder about the copyright implications of "publishing" as opposed to just reading a book.

    ReplyDelete