Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's a Wrap

My thoughts on finally reaching the end of Web 2.0. I must say it has been interesting but very time consuming. Most of the course was done in my own time at home due to time restraints, and because of the smaller staff numbers in a small library we just do not have that much time off desk.

Probably the only two applications I would use and have already been using for quite a while were Delicious and YouTube, both of which I find positively addictive. I can see Twitter and Facebook as important resources in distributing information quickly (if you don’t mind sifting through the mounds of mindless rubbish and incorrect information that is also posted) but I would not personally use either of them. A Wiki locked to 'staff use only’ would, I believe, be an excellent resource for staff training, posting of procedures, and for advising staff of shortcuts within the system that would make our job a lot easier.
Whilst there are aspects of the Web 2.0 training which I will not be applying to my personal life, I feel it is important for the future progress of our libraries that we stay abreast of the new technologies. In this manner, we can be a centre for education and offer assistance to our patrons if they so desire it.

Thank you Melissa and Mark for all the hard work you have put into the running of this course. The opportunity to participate and learn about these new technologies is very much appreciated, but like most others, I am so glad it’s over.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing. I like your blog and all the extra embedded pictures you have put in. I worked in a library that used a podcast for a tour of the library on a handheld ipod like the audiobooks we loan out. I also listened to podcasts at uni on my PC - so again didn't need fancy tech for that either - which was just as well.

    ReplyDelete